The Three Password Reset Challenges
Challenge 1 Endless Helpdesk Tickets
- Per Gartner, up to 50 percent of helpdesk inquiries are password reset requests.
- Forrester Research found the average helpdesk labor cost for a single password reset is $70 (Source: “Best Practices: Selecting, Deploying, and Managing Enterprise Password Managers”, Merritt Maxim and Andras Cser, Forrester Research, January 8, 2018)
- Forrester found some large US-based organizations allocate over $1 million annually for password-related support costs. (Source: “Best Practices: - Selecting, Deploying, and Managing Enterprise Password Managers”, Merritt Maxim and Andras Cser, Forrester Research, January 8, 2018)
Challenge 2 Risky Password Practices
- Helpdesks typically use predictable schemes for temporary passwords (i.e., “MonthYear”). These weak passwords often go unchanged by users.
- Cybercriminals spoof password reset requests to compromise accounts.
Challenge 3 Employee Productivity & Experience
- When users are locked out of systems, they aren’t productive. But they are frustrated.
- Second and third shift employees, night owls, and weekend warriors face extreme wait times.
- Work slows down, and when it’s customer-facing, you risk reputational and relationship damage. Or even violating Service Level Agreements (SLAs).